Saturday, November 12, 2016

A WORDS!

Hey!

So...according to the scale, I GAINED weight (I was 125lbs when I left America and now I'm 138). I ate oatmeal and other carbs the day before I weighed myself so I'm hoping its bloat since I run everyday and walk everywhere! Inshallah, it's fluctuating or water weight (even though I don't drink nearly enough) because I AM NOT TRYING TO LOOK SLACK. I joined the gym at the Hilton since its gorgeous, COED, and has weights (which helped me to lose weight in the first place). I will probably weigh myself in 1-2 weeks because I don't want to be obsessed with that number (but it MATTERS).

Anyways, I have learned many profound truths since I have been here:
1. I am valued more here as an AMERICAN than I am in American. My passport is apparently some sort of GOLDEN ticket to travel anywhere (I assumed this was the same for everyone...equality? equity?)
2. Most people think I'm from Ghana, I guess due to my brown skin, but when I say America, they get super excited. It's like I'm some type of exotic animal or something. For example, I was speaking with a co-worker that is not Emirati. I asked her where she was from (another country) and then I said, 'Oh, you remind me of my American friends (because of her appearance, dress).' BIG MISTAKE. This young lady started cheesin' so hard. She said 'Really?! Thank you!' as if my assumption was the highest compliment. Western culture is reflected heavily here from the restaurants, to the stores, to the music. My students DAB everyday and they're fourth graders. LOL
3. Taxi drivers don't know locations! A driver had the nerve to ask us if we knew the way! Bruh, no, I don't. Super frustrating!
4. Allergies have followed me from America. My nose runs everyday in this heat! I have finished my prescription from the US, and now I will be on local meds. Pray for me!

**Since the election, all conversations from non-Americans are about the President-elect. They are worried and sad too. Students are worried about their futures because they are well aware of what is going on...sometimes more aware than me.

~Stay in PEACE, not pieces! :)

4 comments:

  1. It's funny how some of things I grew tired of in the States, I miss seeing here. Back home my kids would break out in a dance or try to teach me a dance. My kids back home dabbed all day everyday, even when they sneezed! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you hit the nail on the head! I am now wishing for the things that I complained about. It's funny how life works. Above all, I miss having my OWN classroom instead of sharing it with all the teachers. I took that for granted. SMH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amber,
      I am going to be new to Abu Dhabi this upcoming summer.
      What is your teaching schedule like?
      Do you share a room? Are you coteaching?

      Delete
    2. Hello! I am traveling so forgive me for he delayed response.
      Congratulations to you! In the UAE, we have timetables so you would teach a few periods and then have a break, duty, etc. It all depends on your school and grade level you teach. In the US, I taught middle school. Here, I teach grade 4 Eng/SS. I have a partner teacher that switches places with me to teach math and science. Teachers don't have their own classroom. I have to leave the class when it's not my turn to teach.

      Initially, I lived in a studio apt for a month and a half. The mold was making me sick so I requested to move and I was moved to the Corniche with 3 other teachers. We have our own rooms and share a kitchen, dining era, etc. we ride the school bus each morning.
      My experience will not be yours! Please remember that so that you can remain sane! Just have an open mind and go with the flow despite the chaos.

      Delete