Sunday, February 25, 2018

Resignation Without Hesitation

Hey!

Almost a week ago today, I resigned. At the beginning of the month, we were given our letters of intent for next year. It is similar to the ones that my district in the states would give around this time of year. Basically, admin wants to know how many slots they need to fill, how many teachers need to be replaced. Since starting this process, I knew that I only wanted to complete two years abroad. I was blessed with the opportunity to work in two different locations in the UAE (Sharjah/Dubai and Abu Dhabi-the capital). When I got the letter of intent out of my box, I smiled, wrote my resignation letter and tucked it in my teacher's bag. I wanted to keep it until the due date, Feb. 15th. On Thursday, right before I clocked out, I turned it in to the principal's assistant. She was not happy and asked me if they offered a higher salary, would I be willing to stay. I said that I would pray about it (I already had) and get back to her. She was really upset. I said that I had personal things to return to in the states.

Truth be told, living abroad is NOT all fancy trips and brunches. DO NOT LET INSTAGRAM fool you! We (my tribe here) get depressed because we miss what's familiar-family, foods, normalcy, etc. We have left many things behind to embark on this journey. I know you may be thinking 'It's what you wanted. Don't you get paid well enough?' Um...it's a little bit more complicated than that. What you sign for in a 'contract' is not really binding here. These people can change the game at the drop of a dime and there is really nothing that can be done about it. Also, one's salary depends on what expenses they have in their home country. For example, last year, I paid off my car, but I was also paying other bills. This year, I didn't have a car payment, but I still pay life/car insurance and my credit card bill (which pays for all the trips I go on so that I can build credit). So if one makes, $4,000-$5,000 a month, tax free, their savings depends on their responsibilities. I have met single people with children in the states, so they are providing for their families there and trying to live here. I have met a married woman whose two children are here but her husband is in the state. People are doing what works for them and their goals and that is okay!

I love my students and they are already asking me if they'll see me next year when they are in grade 4. I haven't had the heart to tell them the truth so they think that I will be here, but I plan to tell them in May. Their parents are probably going to feel some kinda way also, but it is what it is.

Sabriya and I at her gymnastics competition.


I ran my SECOND half marathon in the UAE!
 

The UAE has taught me how to be alone. When I'm not at work, I find things to get into like going sightseeing, visiting the mall, etc. I actually like doing these things alone because I can move at my own pace and I don't have to worry about other people. (I discovered this about myself when I went on my first solo trip to India and Hong Kong). I WASN'T ALONE BECAUSE I WAS WITH MYSELF! (And, I had a driver/tour guide the entire time.) 
Oddly enough, I am a people person. I love people- the conversations, the fellowship, and even just people watching (I'm not a creep). Here, I have found balance. If I'm invited somewhere and I want to go, then I will. If I don't feel like hanging out with people, then I decline. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Me Time. In the states, I was mostly a homebody because the club scene is NOT IT! I mostly prefer kickbacks or fun outside activities. Dinner dates or anything that involves food is not the move for me because I have found that I take advantage of the opportunity to eat LOL.

Alone in Amsterdam!

I hope that in reading this, your fears of solo travel or adventures vanishes. Sure, we need human connections-friends, lovers, mentors, tribes, etc. But you need you also. Your inner peace is important. You have to know that if others are not around physically or mentally, that you will be okay. You will survive. You will meet new and exciting strangers that are traveling with themselves also. But most importantly, you will meet you. 

Girlfriends and I at the Sisqo and Blackstreet Concert at Zayed Sports City.

Black Panther with friends!

Peace and Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment